Main Street in downtown historic St. Charles is a brick road but what about the buildings? Well, they’re brick too… as well as stone and wood with some of them dating back to the 1800’s. Quite a few of them have historic marker plaques even. The street is lined with shops that sell clothing, antiques, spices and coffee, candy, jewelry and so forth. And of course the many different restaurants including the one that is a brewery with a restaurant.
No matter what goes on inside of these historic buildings, each and every one is decorated for the holidays as you can see here.
This was the original site of a frame warehouse built by Elisa Jordan, circa 1837. The present brick structure was built by a Melcior Thro, a French merchant, circa 1848. The building to the right is called the Stone Building, circa 1820.
This image (which at the original time of posting, August 2017, was edited in sepia) shows the back of one row of the old brick buildings. Talk about walking through history!